Tuesday 8 November 2016

The US Election

Judgement is at hand as today is the day the people of America vote for their next president. I wouldn't want to be in their position at the moment. Rather ironically this reminds of a time when we British people, were faced with a big decision and the result of that decision resulted in some good and some bad, and I would expect some good and some bad to come out of the result of this election.

This is what all the campaigning has been leading up to, two parties fighting each other, debate after debate trying to convince the people of their country to be on their side, why they should vote for them and not their opposition.

There are lots of reasons why either person should win, just as there are lots of reasons why either person shouldn't win because, at the end of it all, it comes to the future of a country that the voters are deciding on. I don't think it's my place to tell you what I think, who I think should or shouldn't win, because I haven't been following this campaign very much, I've only seen snippets of debates between the two candidates arguing with each other on television. It's not in my power to decide who to vote for either. It's out of my control as it is with any British person who feels they should do something. You can't.

Take the EU vote for example that we did back in June of this year, the Americans moaned at us for deciding as a majority to leave the European union. But at end of it all, there was nothing they could do to stop us from making that decision, the reason being was because that that particular incident was not their decision to make. And now the tide has turned and we are faced with a decision which is out of our control. I think either way this thing goes, there's going to be outrage, there is going to be a negative impact in some respect on whoever wins this vote. But there can only be one winner.

People think that we in the UK are screwed after deciding to follow Brexit, I'm not convinced. As always with these things, time will tell. I remember watching the 2008 election, Missouri and the amount of disgusting racial slurs I heard from some of the locals about a N****** becoming president astounded me. Now, even to some of the most outrageous rednecks, Obama has arguably been one of the most successful presidents of all time. I just hope that ideologies and racial/ sexual differences are not only tolerated but continued to be embraced which is the path the US has been going down. I do worry about the outcome of this election, some people even fear it, the outcome of this election could alter that significantly, so I am hoping for the best.