Thursday 2 February 2017

Peter Capaldi on leaving Doctor Who


Having learned of the news that Peter Capaldi is stepping down from the role of the doctor in Doctor Who after the 2017 series and Christmas special, I thought I might address this issue.

First of all, I'd like to start off by saying I feel very saddened by this news and shocked that Peter is leaving. When I found out I was reading a post on facebook someone put up that he had announced it on a BBC radio 2 show. And that he said "It's time to move on" Now being the dedicated and loved fan of the show I know Peter is, I honestly thought that the programme would leave before he got fed up with playing the part of the doctor. It was almost like someone had to shake me because I thought it was a bad joke. But it wasn't it was very real. With Trump in the news, every day since he became president this news was just as unwelcoming as updates on what Trump was up to.

Secondly, It's a shame that Peter will never get to play the part under new management. Chibnall takes over very soon, and I would have liked to have seen what ideas and the way things would run under a new showrunner because from what the last two series have shown is that Capaldi's doctor and Moffat's scripts are hit and miss in my book.

Thirdly, I think the whole thing is a bitter shame and feel that Peter's doctor was in more cases than most a missed opportunity. Every time I watch his episodes, I don't need to praise him for giving an outstanding performance because I know he's going to be good. He gets it. He gets the doctor's character and what the doctor is meant to be like, and granted when he started off after taking over from Matt Smith, he wasn't the most popular of doctors, and there are some people who are rejoicing in Capaldi's resignation and thinking "great, new doctor, start fresh!"

I'm very annoyed at the fans or people who say on their social media suggestions of who they think the new doctor should be and granted, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect and understand that but for goodness sake Capaldi hasn't even left yet? can we at least enjoy him while we have still got him? because the year will fly by and we'll be asking ourselves "whatever happened to Peter Capaldi?" it's almost as if people can't wait for him to leave or are getting too excited over who they think the new doctor should be and what will he or she be like.

Fans like to come in with their suggestions, and to be fair, some of their suggestions are barmy but quite good suggestions. Most people are saying they want a woman or Sean Pertwee. For me, neither of those would work. One because I'd never want to see a woman play the part unless it was a non-cannon spoof and I don't think Sean Pertwee would ever even consider it, not because I don't think he'd be very good but because he's got a tight schedule anyway filming Gotham and apart me feels that he feels quite insulted by the show in a way.

It's a terrible shame and missed opportunity to have a doctor that good as Peter Capaldi and not give him a decent story. There aren't that many Capaldi stories that I can pick out and go "that's a classic' or "that's a really good one" because when you get stories like "The Husbands of River Song" or "The Return of Doctor Mysterio" what are you going to expect? I think this whole thing is a bit like history repeating itself, we've gone back to the Colin Baker era. Peter Capaldi. He's a good doctor but with shit scripts. It's not Capaldi's fault the show is how it is, it's down to bad scripts, the executive producer, and BBC restrictions.

I'll be pleased to see Moffatt leave because he's like an expired car whose out of date and getting tired. But I was not expecting Capaldi to go with him. If I don't like any of the stories in series ten I am hoping Capaldi's send off in the Christmas special will be a good story for him to go out on and not to be anything like Matt Smith's departure. A story which is all about the regeneration at the end of it. Make a gooden. Make it a proper adventure where the doctor finds himself in mortal peril and the only way to get out of it is to risk it all and if that means sacrificing himself in the process then so be it. I want a story like that. I don't want this big thing like in "Time of the Doctor' which was all about leading up to the regeneration at the end of it. Peter is an excellent doctor who has given so much to the fans, so its only fair he gets the send off he deserves I will be very angry and disappointed if Capaldi's last story is not a decent story.