Sunday 22 May 2016

COMING UP SOON: DOCTOR WHO - What's next for the First Doctor?













What's next for the First Doctor? - The first doctor. Now there's a tricky one. He is a doctor that I find very difficult to do action figure stories for, in that apart from Dalek stories, there isn't really much I can do with him in terms of stories. Because, anything you can do with this incarnation of the doctor has already been done.

It's more difficult to come up with an idea for a first doctor story than say a third or fourth doctor story for instance.

I have a diverse range of stories planned, and I know that I wanted to do more with this doctor.

I wanted to not just do Dalek stories even though there is a Dalek story set to come out later this year with Hartnell, I wanted to be more diverse and broader than that. So that's why I thought I'd do a time meddler type story, a pest or a misfit up to no good and the doctor has to put the rules of time to rights or maybe even perhaps a space story. I know I've done "The Scavengers" but I mean something along the lines a base under siege story, hence why I thought up "The Mysterites" it's Mysterons and Sensorites blended in together. It's quite an interesting dynamic.

I just don't feel I have done enough with this doctor to justify his character. After all Hartnell is one of the most important incarnations of the doctor there has been. He is a role model to the other doctors and they would be nothing without his legacy.

William Hartnell himself was very passionate and protective about the programme and he felt that this was something which was his, and something which he felt he could grasp with both hands and make his own. In a way, the show belongs to William Hartnell. It is as much his as it is any of the other producers and show runners have put their stamp on it. If it weren't for Hartnell, we would have no David Tennants, Matt Smiths or Peter Capaldi's, nor would we have Russell T Davies or Steven Moffatts.

I want to recapture an essence of what made the Hartnell era so original and refreshing television of its time in my stories. So I am told it is apparently what makes my Hartnell stories so professional.

At the moment, I want to do a Dalek story, a Time Meddler type story and a Space Trap type story with creepy aliens in it. As well as showing off the importance to the man who started it all.

Daniel Bury, 22nd of May 2016