Thursday 25 June 2020

Mortal Kombat 11 - Kombat League Seasons So Far : Part One - Seasons 1 - 5









KOMBAT LEAGUE SEASONS SO FAR
PART ONE: SEASONS 1 - 5


Hi everyone.

So Kombat League has proven to be a major event for all players of Mortal Kombat and provides the opportunity for players to compete in a series of ranked matches to win kombat league points, the more points you earn the higher you climb through the nine ranks and the higher you climb, the more rewards you own as an incentive to play on.

With season 11 coming to an end soon and two new kombat league seasons on the way I thought I would take a look back through the past seasons that have come and gone and reveal some thoughts behind what I thought of that particular season, initial thoughts behind the skins and rewards you could earn and a general overview of the season itself.

So let's get started.

SEASON 1 - The Season of Blood (June / July 2019)


Unfortunately for me, I didn't participate in this season because I had no idea behind the concept of what Kombat league was or how to play it so I didn't have an experience of playing this season.

As you can see the skins that were up for grabs were black and red skin sets for Kitana, Scorpion, Skarlet and Erron Black.

Scorpion was the reward for completing all the season challenges, Kitana was the reward for playing a match, Skarlet was Champion and above, Erron Black was Demi God and above. It's a pity I didn't play this season as there was some pretty nice pieces of exclusive gear up for grabs like the Noob Saibot head and Kabal's blood stained hook swords.

As for the skins themselves I do like the red and black / white and black skins colour scheme its very reminiscent to Assassin's Creed I feel, especially Scorpion. Out of all the skins the one I'm least interested in getting would be Erron Black, simply because I'm not sure that the red/black colour scheme works well with that costume.

SEASON 2 - Season of Time (July/August 2019)



This was the second season to be released, and my first thoughts when I saw the time skins were that were we going to get an opportunity to earn time skins for any character, turns out I was wrong it's just for the selected four characters.

This seems a bit of a shame because one fault I think with kombat league is players play for character skins for characters that I don't suit that skin, I can think of other characters that would be better with a time skin such as Kabal or Jax. Its something I think happens often, characters get picked that don't suit that skin type which makes me not want to get that skin for them.

Having seen the time skins, Raiden's is the one I like the most.

I didn't play this season, so I didn't earn any of the rewards being offered.

There was a Baraka mask I missed out on and would have got if I played a match. Oh well.

So just to talk you through it, The Season of Time allows players to win skins for Erron Black, Jacqui Briggs, Kollector, and Raiden.

Erron Black was your reward for completing all the season's challenges, Kollector was your reward for playing a set, Raiden was Champion and above, Jacqui Briggs was Demi God and above.

Out of all the skins, Jacqui's is my least favourite, so it doesn't bother me so much to see her skin at the top of the ladder.

SEASON 3 - Revenants Reborn (August / September 2019)


Now this season for me is very interesting as it allows players to have a roles reversed scenario.

It was characters who are revenants in the game, in their revenant costumes but in human form.

All four skins look really cool and I remember being excited to this released, I still hadn't quite got my head round the concept of Kombat League by this point and only played one set, which of course meant I got the Jade skin at the end of the season.

I played as Noob Saibot and I think I lost the set as far as I can remember, at Apprentice stage you still win points whether you win or lose the set so there's nothing to worry about at such an early stage.

It's a shame I think, as if I was a bit more persistent I could have done well this season and won the Kitana and Kung Loa skins as well, I don't think I would have got Liu Kang as he was a bit too high up for me. Demi God is the rank most players aim for because it means at the end of the season you earn all of the seasons skins. I have ambitions to reach the god ranks at the top but still haven't managed it yet.

That being said, some interesting rewards and gear pieces were up for grabs this season which can be won along with the skin set based on the rank level you are at.

I like the idea behind doing the roles revered, I just feel I didn't understand Kombat League enough to  play on. If I had I would have got a higher score, higher rank, and won more of the things on offer.

Kitana was your reward for completing all the seasons challenges, Jade was Apprentice level and above, Kung Loa was champion and above, Liu Kang was Demi God and above.

SEASON 4 - The Season of Chaos (September / October 2019)



This I think was the first Kombat League season I played properly.

It was a fun, enjoyable and interesting experience. I didn't want to aim high, and I didn't have many expectations I just thought, play and see how you do.

I remember wanting the Sub Zero skin from this set as it resembled the closest thing to a revenant Sub Zero skin and Noob's skin looked nice, Frost was character I don't play with and don't like very much, and same with Cassie Cage so they were the two I wasn't that bothered about getting.

So I was pleased that I didn't have to work too hard to get the skins I wanted from this season as Noob Saibot was Apprentice level and above, Frost was champion and above, Cassie was God level, and to get Sub Zero you had to complete all the season's challenges.

This was the season I started to get a firm grasp on what Kombat League was about, I didn't have a technique or a strategy behind my game play like other players did, I just played as I would usually play offline and later would adapt my game play based on the reactions and actions of my opponent.

I finished this season at Champion rank which for me wasn't bad, not for my first season, but was determined to do better in Kombat League seasons to follow.

SEASON 5 - The Season of Sorcery (October / November 2019)


This was the season where players would earn Quan Chi style versions of characters.

Skins were up for grabs for Baraka, Kano, Kabal, and Cetrion. Three of which I felt suited these skins sets well and I remember really wanting that Kano skin and was determined to work hard to make sure I got it.

As a Kabal player I remember wanting the Kabal skin and so was overjoyed to see that all I had to do to get his skin was play a set win or lose I would get a new Kabal skin, Baraka was the reward for completing all the season's challenges and Cetrion being a god herself was at the top in God ranks.

God ranks to me seemed like an untouchable territory for me and that my place in the ranks was between Warrior and Champion, as my skill developed I started to achieve a much higher score than last season and did better this season compared to last.

I finished at Champion rank again, but to me that was okay because at least it meant I got that Kano skin. This is when the competitive spirit kicks in and you want to do whatever you can to win matches.

It's a complex thing, each time you play you're playing to try and get better at the game whilst climbing the ranks at the same time. I got the three out of four skins I wanted that season so was pretty content with how I did as a whole.


This concludes Part One of this series of Kombat League blogs - next time I will cover Seasons 6 - 8.