Monday 3 February 2020

BAFTA 2020: The Worst BAFTA's I have ever seen so far!



THE WORST BAFTA's I Have Seen So Far!

Hello everyone, and welcome back to this blog. 

I was watching the BAFTA's last night and normally I enjoy the BAFTA's, I think it's a lot of fun watching stars of film and television getting dolled up on the red carpet, and sitting in a fancy venue like the Royal Albert Hall to give out awards to celebrate the achievements of the film and tv industry. 

I normally enjoy watching the BAFTA's but this year felt a bit different. Here was my problem with the BAFTA's 2020, it was vulgar, embarrassing, offensive, and frankly grubby. 

Stars making long speeches and dragging out the whole night, if they kept they're speeches down to the ninety seconds they are supposed to, they could rap this up in an hour and a half and be in the bar by half ten. 

It also struck me of the lack of verity there were in the winners in the categories. We had lots of talented directors and actors in these categories who have all could have made worthy winners but instead we have to watch 1917 and Parasite hog all the spotlight and bag most of the awards. 

The worst part was when Rebel Wilson got up to present the award for Best Director. I've never really been a fan of Rebel Wilson, it's true I've seen some of her work and have smirked at some of her jokes but to me, she crossed a line at the BAFTA's. 

Her speech was embarrassing, crude, and frankly inappropriate. Saying how she's looking to win best score at the after party, as well as commenting how no one would be receiving a gift bag this year, instead they'll be given a gifting wallet she compared the gifting wallet to her own vagina. To make comments like comparing a gifting wallet to your vagina at the BAFTA's with the duke and duchess of Cambridge in the audience, is frankly disgusting. The most tragic thing about all of Wilson's speech is that it's not funny. There's no irony in what she's saying, I don't feel most of the stars sitting in the audience were laughing with her, they were probably laughing out of embarrassment. 

There also interval breaks in-between including a tribute to Judy Garland with a performance from cirque du soleil which had nothing to do with anything. It just felt really dragged out and over extended when you could wrap up the whole thing in an hour and a half. Two hours is what we see on television, and that's not including the awards they cut out. The whole thing probably lasts longer, it must be very boring having to sit there and watch everyone win a BAFTA apart from you.

I've never seen such a shambolic, awful display at the BAFTA's ever, it was a dreadful display. 

I won't go on about all the doom and gloom, I will balance it out by telling you the few things which I liked about the BAFTAs. I liked Andy Serkis picking up a special award for special achievement, Renee Zelwinger whose adorable picking up the best actress award, the tributes to all we have lost in the past year was done well as it always is. 

This year at the BAFTA's was probably the worst experience I've had watching one of the most anticipated award ceremonies of the year.