Tuesday 8 October 2019

I'll Be Back - The Terminator in Mortal Kombat 11


I'll Be Back - The Terminator in Mortal Kombat 11


Welcome to another blog post.

Today's blog concerns the Terminator being released as a guest character in MK11.

Last Tuesday, 1st October a trailer was released showcasing Terminator - T800 in Mortal Kombat.

Though some of his moves and fighting techniques came across as being similar to Jason in MKX. I think just from the trailer to go on, there wasn't much to really impress me about this character. Some of his moves were pretty niche and showed off the characteristics of the character well enough, but for me there wasn't much excitement there.

If this was all Netherealm had to offer for a highly anticipated character like The Terminator, probably one of the most well known and famous characters in movie history this was disappointing.

In the trailer, it states that early access for  Terminator would be October 8th. Today is October 8th and there is no sign of him or the add ons that come with him being available to download. Now, at first I thought there was a problem with my console and figured that if I try and reboot it that will fix the problem. It didn't.

I have tried multiple things to try and get it to work and I still don't understand why Terminator isn't available as an add on with Kombat Pack given that he is meant to be released today.

Now, I had a look on facebook and it seems that a lot of other gamers are suffering from the same problem.

The situation here is, neither Netherrealm or Warner Bros were specific enough to inform fans and gamers when and what time DLC characters are due to be available for download and we as users get mixed messages. This is not at all good enough, considering that people like me have paid a substantial amount of money to get Kombat Pack and things like this for free and get one week's early access and new characters and add ons being available for INSTANT download. 

The only glimpse we get of Terminator so far is his preview tower, and even then when playing as him I have come across some technicalities which are not as good as they could be.

First off, his techniques are quite basic for a character so advanced, and the voice, which is a voice artist and not Schwarzneggar doing the voice is mediocre. 

Second, his fatalities are difficult to do. For one of them you have to get so rediculously close to your opponent in order for the fatality to work, and performing the moves simply doesn't work. I had to use an easy fatality token to get it to work as if you follow what the game tells you to do, nothing happens.

For me, I feel that Terminator just doesn't live up to the standard and expectation of Shang Tsung and Nightwolf. 

Though he looks impressive and has Arnold Schwarzneggar's likeness spot on, this character was probably released to help with advertising and to do with the hype of the new Terminator movie coming out at the end of this month, which from the trailer looks unsurprisingly dreadful. 

I think I've done enough today to know that Terminator isn't a character I will be playing very much of in MK11. 3/10.